Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2017 4:45 am  #1

oil weight??

Im running the original 292 engine in my 61 galaxie. Just wondered what weight oil and type you guys are using?? 

June 29, 2017 7:20 am  #2

Re: oil weight??

Conventional 10W-30 or 10W-40, depending.  My camshafts were installed years ago

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

June 29, 2017 6:37 pm  #3

I use 10/30 conventional with a zinc additive, or use Rotella from shell. Already has all the ZDDP so you don't need the zinc additive.

June 30, 2017 8:24 pm  #4

I also use Shell Rotella 15-40 in my '66 Toronado, '56 Cadillac and my mom's '64 Galaxie and '76 F150.  As guitar said, it contains higher amounts of zddp.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny (June 30, 2017 8:25 pm)

July 7, 2017 3:14 pm  #5

When I rebuilt my engine 8, 9 years ago I was researching oils and found that modern diesel oils don't have much higher levels of Zinc anymore, so they don't necessarily provide enhanced protection for the flat tappet lifters and cam shaft, like they once did. I also seem to remember reading that the detergent additives are different for diesel applications from gas, so there is potential risk from not having the proper detergent additives. I did use Rotella, along with Comp Cams Break-in additive for breaking in my new engine, but ever since I've been running Quaker State Defy, which now is marketed as high mileage oil. It does have higher levels of Zinc for flat tappets and short of sourcing ZDDP additive for every oil change I intend to keep using this oil until I find something better, that is readily available.

If it is an old engine, then the Zinc levels won't really matter. The cam and lifters are already well worn together and stock valve springs don't have a lot of pressure, especially old ones. If you rebuild and install a bigger cam that needs greater spring pressure, then you want to pay attention to running higher Zinc content to maximize the life span of the new parts.

July 9, 2017 4:37 pm  #6

I also forgot to mention Harley Davidson oil. Also, the slight difference in detergent that might be there on a diesel oil is negligible. Rotella is fine for a gas engine and does have zinc levels on par with the oils we used to be able to get for our flat rapper engines (at least that was the response I got from shell along with a list of zinc and phosphate levels). There is also Valvoline racing which you can get in mineral as well as synthetic. And of course Redline, Royal Purple, Brad Penn, and Roush. You are spot on with what you said about old engines vs newer ones with performance cams and springs. I will keep the Quaker in mind for next oil change.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ZDDP levels drop on th Harley oil soon.

Last edited by guitar74 (July 9, 2017 4:40 pm)

September 12, 2017 2:32 am  #7

I use Conventional 10W-30  but i also think it depends 
Not true for all kinds 
Like magento 2 one page checkout is one of magento 2 plugins but it has specific features to make suitable for website.

Last edited by Harry (September 20, 2017 12:49 am)

No Pain No Gain

September 12, 2017 5:25 am  #8

I used Vavoline 20w/50 racing oil for a few years in my Yblock. Expensive but I never had any problems. Last oil change I switched to 10w/40. Figured everything was well broke in so why not save a few bucks. As far as the Vavoline racing oil and the Harley 20/50 oil (which I still use in my Harley) I always found that after just a few hundred miles both oils turn black as coal and seemed to get thicker. Never any problems though.

September 13, 2017 5:50 am  #9

I broke my cam in with Valvoline VR1 10w-30, then went to Brad Penn 10w-40 high ZDDP. Last oil change I went to a Kendall 20w-50 oil, also high ZDDP and $6 a quart locally.

Board footera