Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 6, 2017 7:06 pm  #1

Pinion yoke swap information needed.

I am about to install my new set of gears in my Ford 9" diff. It is a complete rear carrier swap. I need to swap out pinion yokes first as they are different lengths and different size u-joints. I need to install my OEM pinion yoke on the donor carrier and also install a new pinion seal. I have replaced seals previously without issue. As I do more research into this, I get the impression that it is critical to maintain correct pinion bearing preload by correct torque on the pinion yoke nut. Now I am nervous about doing this.
I was under the impression that the correct preload is set at factory by way of a crush sleeve. As long as you don't further compress the crush sleeve by over tightening, you can maintain the correct pinion bearing preload. I have read that 130 foot pounds of torque on the pinion yoke nut will keep you safe from over tightening and causing too much bearing preload. 
Can anyone confirm this or provide the correct procedure for tightening the pinion yoke nut after changing out yoke and seal?

May 6, 2017 8:46 pm  #2

Re: Pinion yoke swap information needed.

Easy fix, use a solid spacer.  Remove the sleeve and measure it with a set of calipers.  Than get a sleeve kit with shims and set it up with the same thickness.

you might need to go a little thinner but probably not and if so not by much.

May 7, 2017 7:18 am  #3

Interesting. Thanks.

May 10, 2017 10:38 am  #4

Another question...the pinion yoke on the new carrier is about 7/8" shorter than the OEM yoke. As a result, the driveshaft will be that much shorter. Anybody know how much spline overlap is safe between the transmission output shaft and and corresponding slip yoke? 

May 10, 2017 11:07 am  #5

you want a minimum of 3/4" from the shoulder of the slip yoke to the end of the transmission (not the seal the actual end of the case of the transmission) and max 1.5" but I don't like going that far and never set mine up with more than a 1" gap.

I thought you were going to change to the OEM yoke when you changed the seal?

May 10, 2017 11:15 am  #6

That was my plan. But, I discovered the pinion supports are different and the pinion seals are different. The seal on the donor is about 1" wider diameter. On visual, the flanges on the yokes where the seal sits, appears different size as well. So don't think I can switch out. Taking it apart this weekend.

May 10, 2017 7:35 pm  #7

I don't know everything about everything BUT I do know Ford was good about making some standards when it comes to seals and such.  I would assume that the seal is based on the yoke not the pinion.  What I mean is the pinion housing is probably the same bore strait across the board and different seals would fit different pinion yokes.  

Just to compare I looked up a seal from a 61 galaxie and then a seal from a 82 f-100 and it turned out to be the same seal. Thats a lot of years between them so it  makes me wonder if you have something other than a Ford 9" like a Ford 9.75"  got any pix of the front of the differential?

May 10, 2017 7:40 pm  #8

I went back and looked at your post and even a 59 9" rear uses the same basic seals however the 8.5" rear end uses a different seal.

May 10, 2017 10:18 pm  #9

Daze, thanks for spending the time on this. Makes sense that the basic components should be all the same. That being said, the pinion shaft should be the same. So maybe, both seal I.D.'s are the same so maybe I will be able to swap yokes which would be great.
From my research, the donor case is a 9" WAR casing which was used from 57-60. I may be worrying about this for nothing and all will be fine?
OEM case:
Donor case:
Yokes:

Last edited by dan_6776 (May 10, 2017 10:27 pm)

May 11, 2017 10:47 am  #10

the difference is in the pinion cap not the case.  you should be able to swap capes and use the correct seal for the galaxie pinion.  Be carful with that WAR case I hate to say it but it was the worst 9" ford ever made.  the iron was inferior and they are prone to cracking under load.

Board footera