Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2017 11:12 pm  #1

63 galaxie heater question

I removed and rebuilt my heater and ready to re install. I have a new flexible fresh air inlet and was wondering if it is easier to install it on the heater first and fight with the mounting screws second or to mount it to the duct first and fight getting it sealed to the heater second. Either way won't be easy for me with my stiff joints.  Thanks for any responses. Bud

63 1/2 Galaxie 500XL 4speed with a '67 428 and cast 427 long tube headers under the hood.  Black on Black

April 30, 2017 8:56 am  #2

Re: 63 galaxie heater question

Bud,
If you are referring to the flexible air inlet boot that goes between the heater core housing and the top of the firewall on the passenger side, you secure the boot onto the car first and then raise the heater core housing into position. There should be a large retainer/spring that secures the boot to a flange on the top of the heater core housing. The retainer ring sits on the top of the heater core housing and over the flange during installation. Once everything in position you spread the retainer ring and slide it over the boot securing it to the flange.
A tip: If you are able, secure the heater core housing on the driver side first and kind of let it hang down slightly on the passenger side so that you create more room to get your hands up there to install and secure the boot into position. 
I did that job a while back, definitely not one of my more enjoyable repairs.

Last edited by dan_6776 (April 30, 2017 10:18 am)

April 30, 2017 2:18 pm  #3

Thanks for the suggestions Dan, I know it is a real pain. I put the boot on the heater while I was rebuilding the heater and found it was not that easy to get on the flange lip of the heater. That's why I thought I would ask before I started cussing at my re-install. Also having a new firewall cover won't help either.  Thanks again,   Bud

63 1/2 Galaxie 500XL 4speed with a '67 428 and cast 427 long tube headers under the hood.  Black on Black

July 12, 2017 12:08 am  #4

So how did you resolve it?

Board footera