Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2017 5:12 pm  #1

Tearing down the 390

Been slowly tearing down the 390 to determine what it needs; pleased to find mirror like cylinder walls, no sign of burnt valves, no cracks and absolutely no sign of blown head gaskets. Managed to break only one exhaust manifold bolt! Most of them were just more than finger tight. If I were foolhardy enough I would have stuck it back together and called it good. This far down the road and there's no reason not to go all the way.

March 27, 2017 5:31 am  #2

Re: Tearing down the 390

Did you manage to get the broke bolt out of the head?  I think I had 2 break.  Some advice:  machine the manifolds smooth before  you try to put back on.  Even though they may not look that bad  they are finicky and will probably leak...then you've wasted time and money and will have to pull them back off.  I think you can heat these heads with a torch to get the stuck bolt out. Because they are cast iron.  But you may want to get another opinion ..hate for you to mess up a head/valve seat etc.

March 27, 2017 6:14 am  #3

First I'll let it soak in P'Blaster for a while. Only ruined one head in thirty years, taking my time. might even let a machine shop do it as part of valve stem seal job. not sure yet.

March 27, 2017 8:06 am  #4

I watched a muffler shop remove some broken manifold bolts out of my 4.6 a while back. I brought the engine to the shop before installation, but I wondered how can they remove a broken stud on an installed engine with minimal clearance and sometimes absolutely no clearance?
They place a large washer over the broken stud leaving the broken stud exposed.  Then, a large nut over the washer. Using a wire feed welder, they weld the broken stud to the nut. The heat created from the weld cracks loose the seized stud and out it comes. The large washer also protects the head from any damage from the welding, especially if you are running aluminum heads.

Last edited by dan_6776 (March 27, 2017 9:21 pm)

April 8, 2017 1:52 pm  #5

Took about fifteen minutes to remove the broken bolt, then drive out the rusted off bypass fitting from the intake. I thought I might have to use an easy out to remove what I thought was the broken off stub of the temp sender, but it turned out to be a  plug of red silicone. Geez. And, since I am short on cash, that's all I can do this weekend. Besides, everything went well, so why screw up a good thing

Board footera