Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2017 4:39 pm  #1

Front End Suspension/Steering

Hey Guys, I am kinda new to the 63 Fords. I have always loved the 63 and 64's, but just got the opportunity to buy one like I wanted last week. I am still trying to load pictures, but no luck yet. Now to my next problem. My 63 pulls to the right. Not bad, but just enough  to be annoying. I don't think the front is out of alignment. I was told there is a hyd valve on one end of the tie rod ends and that is usually the problem. Can one of you tell me if there is indeed a valve on one of or both of the tie rods and if this could be the problem? By the way, I got the gas sending unit installed and working. Other than the minor pull the car drives great and is very tight. It has the P code 390 with power steering. The previous owner rebuilt the engine about a year ago and replaced the solid lifter cam and lifters with a hyd unit.   Thanks, Mike

Remember Fireball and Smokey

March 2, 2017 9:26 pm  #2

Re: Front End Suspension/Steering

If its power steering there is a hydraulic valve on one end of the drag link. If there is play in that than that could be causing the issue.  there is nothing on the tie-rods that would cause that short of tie-rod failure. if you look at the picture below the power steering control valve is the silver thing in the left center of the picture and would be under the drivers side of your car when installed.
another possible cause could be worn out bushings or a bad ball joint on one side causing pulling.

March 2, 2017 9:31 pm  #3

I'm guessing you are referring to the hydraulic control valve fastened onto the end of the "steering arm to idler arm rod".
First thing I would check is to make sure you have good front tires and they are inflated properly. If tires good, then rotate the tires to see if steering improves. If it was my car, I would remove the power steering belt and drive with manual steering to see what happens. If pulling to the right continues with no power steering, check steering components for wear. If steering components and ball joints good, then I would consider an alignment.

March 2, 2017 9:45 pm  #4

Everyone beat me to it, so I'll just add that if you haven't already, you need to buy the OEM Ford (not Chilton, NOT Haynes) Factory service manual(s); e.g.,
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/Search.aspx?c=20200

In fact, there are 8 possible causes listed for pulling to the one side in the diagnostics table.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

March 13, 2017 9:23 am  #5

Got lucky. Rotated tires and that helped a lot, but still slight pull. Pull front wheels to inspect wheel bearing. Found right front bearing very tight, nut way to tight. Replaced bearings on both sides and pull gone. Also, some cars will have a slight right pull due to crown in center of road to help water drainage.

Last edited by jackgray1 (March 13, 2017 9:26 am)

Remember Fireball and Smokey

March 24, 2017 8:28 am  #6

Makes me glad mine doesn't have the control valve, etc. That's the next thing to go on my '68 Cougar with the Borgeson setup replacing it. Still glad to hear she is tracking straight and it WASN'T any of those PS realted parts causing it. 

April 1, 2017 8:45 am  #7

I have a 60 Galaxie that had a 352, which I up graded to a 67 FE bored 390 big block, with aluminum heads and intake, to help take some of the weight off the front end.  I wanted to install a Borgeson power steering unit, but they advised me against it, because I am running a manual transmission.  It gets complicated because of the clutch and shift linkage, which will double the cost in labor and parts.  They advised me to find a original power steering system and enjoy more comfortable driving.  I built this car in 1999 and am now 81 years old, but my accelerator foot works good, but my arms are getting weak.  Any body have a P/S system for sale?
Thomas

April 1, 2017 9:01 am  #8

I do.  I have the unit out of a 62.  I know it will fir a 61 but not sure if it will fit a 60.  If you can verify I will sell it to you for cheep... actually I have two of them.

April 1, 2017 9:51 am  #9

Daze:

I know of a unit off a 59, but I feel the big body change to the 60s would be questionable.  I was warned that a 60 Bird is also different.  I am betting your 62 would be good to go.  I have located a pump bracket for my 390, now I just need the rest.  I am in Michigan, where are you?

Thanks
Thomas

Last edited by Thomast (April 2, 2017 11:52 am)

April 1, 2017 5:21 pm  #10

Daze:

I checked my catalogs and the parts look like carry overs, so I would like to try one of your set ups.  I will take the responsibility to make it work. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let me know what you need to get it to me.

Thanks
Thomast              

Board footera