Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2017 8:29 am  #1

Gas Guage

My gas gauge on my 63 Galaxie does not work. The temp gauge does. When the switch is on the hand will go about half way between empty and quarter tank , turn the switch off and it goes back to empty. I have a combined 62/63 shop manual. If I read it correctly, the tank does not need to come out to change sending unit, although I do not know yet if it needs a sending unit yet. But I cannot imagine replacing a sending unit without dropping the tank. I would welcome some ideas. Also, I am still trying to put some pictures in file, but no luck yet. Thanks, Mike

Remember Fireball and Smokey

February 22, 2017 3:07 pm  #2

Re: Gas Guage

Test the sending unit first before trying to extract it.  You should be able to at least disconnect the wires to test per these links which are from credible posters.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1115919319
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1134426153
Float may be challenged too.
Kevin

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

February 23, 2017 9:50 am  #3

disconnect the wire from the sending unit, ground it out, then turn the key on.  If the gauge pegs full than the issue is the sending unit.  (my money is on the sending unit)

February 23, 2017 11:53 am  #4

If it is the sending unit, here is a tip....when replacing the sending unit make sure you calibrate the new sending unit so that the fuel gauge will be accurate. This can be done by bending the float arm of the new sending unit to mirror the bend on the old sending unit float arm.
I didn't do that and  when I put my new sending unit in and filled up the gas tank full, the gauge read 3/4's full. I had to play with the float arm until I got the correct bend so that the gauge read correctly.

February 23, 2017 5:05 pm  #5

working temp gauge means the IVR (instrument voltage regulator) is working.  You can double check this by putting a multi meter pos lead on either side of it while grounding the neg.  One side is 12v coming from acc. Outbound current should read about 5v going to fuel and temp gauges.  Find the ivr under the dash near the steering column.  It is small rectanglular shaped with one screw holding to the lower metal dash.  

I agree you should pull the wire off the fuel sender (bottom front of tank) and ground. Take a jumper wire and clamp to a clean ie freshly ground metal.  Vise grips work good for this.  I think the shock mount may be a good spot.  hold tight to the fuel sender wire and have a friend turn the key on ...may need to give it a few seconds to see if it comes up.  

I calibrated my fuel sender ...a new sender in a new tank ...by tying fishing line to the float and putting it in the tank and pulling the line while a friend checked to see if the gauge read full.  Bending as necessary.  One thing to consider with these fuel senders is that the base of the sender has to ground.  Avoid a rubber gasket and use the metal ring that has tabs that you drive around the base.

Last edited by g-man (February 23, 2017 5:06 pm)

February 25, 2017 2:40 pm  #6

I pulled the yellow wire off my sending unit and used a jumper wire to reach the frame. Attached the wire to frame with vise grips and turned the switch on. The fuel hand went straight to full. Lucky that my tank has a drain plug so I went ahead and drained fuel and ordered sending unit. Thanks for all the help/advise. Mike

February 27, 2017 12:10 pm  #7

My sending unit has not come yet, but I went ahead and removed the old one. Wasn't to hard. The lock ring came off without too much trouble and the unit just pulled out. But I could not believe how corroded it was. I hope the inside of my tank doesn't look like the sending unit. 

February 27, 2017 2:51 pm  #8

jackgray1 wrote:

I pulled the yellow wire off my sending unit and used a jumper wire to reach the frame. Attached the wire to frame with vise grips and turned the switch on. The fuel hand went straight to full. Lucky that my tank has a drain plug so I went ahead and drained fuel and ordered sending unit. Thanks for all the help/advise. Mike

Alright!

March 16, 2017 7:16 am  #9

FOLLOWUP
Sending unit arrived and I installed it. I have replaced several sending units and they were a pain in the rear, but this one was actually pretty easy, due to not having to remove tank. Fuel gauge working fine. 

March 16, 2017 8:08 am  #10

Excellent!  Well done sir.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

Board footera