Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2017 1:58 pm  #1

Need help with 62 galaxy suspension

Hello everyone. I'm working on a 62 galaxy I'm removing all of the suspension parts and replacing the old rubber worn out bushings I'm having trouble removing the front bolt from the lower control arm I'm curious if I need to remove it with a sledgehammer or  if there are threads inside the actual pushing  when I turn the bolt to loosen it part of the bushing spends so I'm wondering if I need to clamp down on that piece of the bushing and try and loosen it thanks for the help.  Also I'm using Dearborn for parts does anyone know of another parts distributor that I can look up or possibly someone who has a stockpile of galaxy original parts.

February 12, 2017 4:20 pm  #2

Re: Need help with 62 galaxy suspension

If you are talking about the large bolt that goes thru the front cross member, it is not threaded in. It should pound out. It is most likely rusted in place and will need some attitude to get it out. Try liquid penetrant, some heat, an impact gun, big hammer or all of the above. The large bolts on the engine crossmember at the rear of the lower control arm are also not threaded in. Same procedure to remove.
I was able to get a complete front rebuild kit on ebay for reasonable amount. I have also used Concours auto parts.
Good luck

Last edited by dan_6776 (February 12, 2017 4:29 pm)

February 16, 2017 8:53 am  #3

Pictures of the bolts in question...no threads. The one in the middle of the lower control arms is the front bolt the goes thru the front crossmenber, the fatter bolts are the rear bolts that go into the engine crossmember.

February 17, 2017 1:56 pm  #4

Thanks for all the help.  This made my life a lot easier I was able to get them off no problem

February 17, 2017 5:56 pm  #5

I had the same problem on my 62.  Fought with it for quite a while and couldn't get it loose then all of a sudden it popped out like nothing was holding it.  when I put them back in I polished them up and liberally coated them with grease.  I will probably never need to remove them, BUT if I do it should be a lot easier.  As to the suspension kit I got mine from PST.  Saved myself hundreds of $$ over places like dearborn.  They also offer three different kits depending on exactly what you need to replace.

June 19, 2018 8:15 am  #6

New guy to the forum does anyone know if a polyurethane kit is available for a 62 galaxie

June 19, 2018 10:24 am  #7

PST is the best place to get front end bushings and front end rebuild kits.  Kits start at $220 and go the $520 and are available in rubber and pollygraphite which is basically polyurethane with an impregnated lubricant.  [url=https://p-s-t.com/c-1145188-suspension-front-end-rebuild-kits.html#!year%3D1962%7C%7Cmake%3DFORD%7C%7Cmodel%3DGALAXIE]here is a link to there site[/url]

June 19, 2018 10:59 am  #8

I called them today and they only have rubber available

June 19, 2018 12:02 pm  #9

Are you racing the car or something high performance?  If not then there really isn't much need for polyurethane and even in a track application I would not be worried about the rubber.  The LCA bushings are steel sleeves filled with rubber so there is almost 0 flex.  The sway bar bushings are rubber but the OEM swaybar is almost worthless and so using rubber won't make that any worse.  If you upgrade to a larger sway bar (highly recommended) than the new sway bar will come with polyurethane mounts and end links.  The OEM end links are rubber but you can buy replacement polyurethane end link bushings.  Nothing else is rubber.  I really don't think (unless you are after an extreme autocross track type car) that the small amount of rubber in a Galaxie front end will be any worse than if those same few parts were polyurethane.  So my question is, what are your plans in regards to how the car will be driven/used??

June 19, 2018 3:03 pm  #10

Plan on air bagging it

Board footera