Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2016 3:30 pm  #1

New to the forum

Hello all,

My name is Al and I'm both new to the forum as well as new to owning a Galaxie. As a matter of fact, I picked her up over the week of Thanksgiving and drove it home to Georgia. It is a '65 500XL, white exterior, ivy gold interior, buckets, reclining pass. seat, floor shift automatic, w/ a 289. This car was bought from a friend who is into Fairlanes, more specifically big block Fairlanes, so he passed it onto Dad for cheap, who after owning it for four months gave it to me (his girlfriend passed two years ago and after seeing the children fight over EVERYTHING decided that since my brother is getting the house, he's giving myself and my wife cars). He also fixed up a '67 Galaxie station wagon for my brother, and like an idiot my brother sold it for next to nothing for some reason so no more cars for him. 

I like many new owners have a few questions, specifically related to finding a fuel tank as the sender is off by a good margin, and being that the car sat for two years, it probably has a good bit of trash in it (although the filter I have on it is still clean after a 12 hr trip home). 

Aside from the Galaxie, I own a '68 Cougar base model 289 auto that's Highland Green w/ Ivy Gold interior, and a '79 Tbird Town Landau white on white w/ turbine wheels, 351M, column shift. 

I can honestly tell you that this 43,000 mile car drives like a new vehicle, and pulled down the road at 70-80 mph from illinois to TN with no problems beside a weak blower motor, and not trusting the gas gauge. It's a great car, and an even greater gift, and one that they will have to pry from my cold dead hands. It's as cool as the Cougar, just in a different way. Kind of in between the other two cars as far as feel, performance, etc.. As far as power goes, that little warmed over 289 will put a bruising on the 351 in the Thunderchicken. It won't catch the Cougar, but that's not what it was designed for. 

that's about all I have for now. Will be posting some pics in the next couple of days. Although I'm new to this particular car, I'm not new to restoring, or restomodding cars, so hopefully I can contribute to the forum in a good way.

December 8, 2016 3:43 pm  #2

Re: New to the forum

Very cool, sounds great.

December 8, 2016 6:27 pm  #3

Welcome to the world of Galaxie ownership and I have to say The 77-79 t-Bird body syle is the best out there.  Can't wait to see the picture of the galaxie and if you could throw one in of the thunder chicken.

December 9, 2016 5:38 am  #4

Thanks. I just tried to post pics but to no avail, the tiny pic app just froze up so will try again later. [img]Select Media[/img][img]Select Media[/img]

Just tried again, so let's see if they posted. They did. That's my '68 Cougar in the background of the Tbird shot as well. In all fairness, the Tbird belongs to my wife.

Last edited by guitar74 (December 9, 2016 9:11 am)

Board footera