Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2016 11:13 am  #1

ref. 59 Galaxie a.c. hoses

I have a sweet 59 Galaxie Sunliner...soft top.  My wife has off & on sweats for ever.  I am planning on installing
air conditioning as close to OEM as feasible.  Where, under the left fender, do the hoses pass through
the fire wall?  Removing the left fender is not an option.

December 5, 2016 5:26 pm  #2

Re: ref. 59 Galaxie a.c. hoses

The air box is usually on the passenger side of the vehicle, which is the right side, unless you're in one of those right hand drive parts of the world. If you can't find original parts, then an aftermarket A/C system would be the way to go. There are many out there and they will use latest technology in compressors, etc. I know you're a purist, so I wish you luck finding OE parts for a 59.

December 5, 2016 7:35 pm  #3

The 2 hoses on the factory a.c. pass through the fire wall under the left fender.  Even though I am installing
an after market system, I'm doing my best to make it look right.  A modern compressor would also
ruin the look.  I want to make sure that the holes I cut through the firewall are correct.

December 7, 2016 1:50 pm  #4

[url=/profile.php?id=723]John R. Thomas[/url], just to make sure we are on the same page here, when you say left side is that facing the car or left side when sitting in the car?

December 7, 2016 2:13 pm  #5

The steering wheel is on the left side of the vehicle.  Need I say more?
As stated.  The a.c. hoses pass through the fire wall under  the edge of the left fender.

December 7, 2016 2:20 pm  #6

I just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page because it seams odd to me that Ford did it that way.  With the steering, brake and clutch linkages/parts being on that side of the car I would have guessed that they would have gone through the right fender because there would be more room and that is why I asked.  Im sure Ford had a reason for running it through the most congested part of the engine bay  

December 7, 2016 2:26 pm  #7

just found this picture online.  not sure it is factory correct, but it looks good, and makes sense based on the firewall stamping

December 7, 2016 2:52 pm  #8

I just realized that pic is not a Galaxie its a 59 Edsel.  I did find several other pix of AC installed in both a 59 Fairlane and a 59 Galaxie but in all cases they ran the hoses through the firewall on the right hand side of the car and it obviously wasn't factory.

December 7, 2016 4:28 pm  #9

My request was for the owner of a 59 Galaxie, equipped with factory a.c. to take a close up picture or two
of the far corner of the fire wall where the hoses pass through.  Why would someone that does not have a clue
get involved.  Sorry, I do not mean to be rude.  I have several pictures to prove my point.  However, none of
them were taken really up close with good light.

December 7, 2016 4:31 pm  #10

I was just trying to help. Not a lot of 59 owners out there, even fewer with cars that have ac, and even less with factory AC, so good luck with that. I won't waste my time trying to help you any further.

Board footera